Wednesday, September 29, 2010

choosing fabrics...

So here's the fundamental problem I face with sewing.

Here's the kind of fabric I love:
adorable fabric

But here's the kind of fabric I actually use in my sewing.
practical fabric

I found the black fabric on a fabric shop detour during a vacation with my folks, and knew immediately it was the kind of fabric that would be super useful in my sewing. The shop owner asked what I would use it for, and seemed a little skeptical when I said it was for a baby quilt.

But I think that the final product reads more as "baby quilt" than most of the baby quilts I have made.

mod baby quilt

The color scheme is inspired by the backing fabric, the design is a play on a charm squares design, but with sewn stripes, half square triangles, and hourglass blocks mixed in.

The backing fabric is a fun plaid from Rainbow Gardens by Prints Charming, another piece I picked up for just a few bucks a yard.
mod baby quilt

Quilted with a grid pattern with a red polka dot binding.

mod baby quilt

I'm pretty happy with the design and the final product. Hopefully the recipients like it too!



11 comments:

ang said...

This is the coolest. I think it might be my favorite quilt you've made yet.

ang said...

This is the coolest. I think it might be my favorite quilt you've made yet.

Momoo said...

Very geometric....right up my alley :) Happy color choice too.

Beth said...

This is a.ma.zing. Seriously, inspiring.

Nanette Merrill and daughters said...

I really really like it. My niece is having twin boys. And I usually like novelty for baby quilts but somehow it doesn't seem quite right this time. I like your fabric selection and the design. You make the best baby quilts.

Jenny said...

can i please know where you got the vacation fabric? could it possibly be Alexander Henry Heath in NON home dec weight? I have been looking for that fabric!!! regardless of whether it is or not, id love to get some of this!

Jenny said...

ps...i am gushing over with adoration of your quilt!!!!

Melissa Stramel said...

I love it Jenny. I bet the baby will love it too.

Rebekah said...

Your new quilt is amazing! I think it's one of my favorites that you've ever made.

I hear you about the buying/using fabric conundrum. I have a growing stash of cute fabrics but no use for them

savvy stitch said...

Brilliant choices on the fabrics and the pattern. What an amazing quilt!

Havely said...

This quilt is exquisite. It's like Bauhaus for babies. I love it!