Saturday, August 20, 2011

fair isle baby quilt

I've been working on this baby quilt for months, slowed down by the smaller piecing and general distractions. the design is improvised; I made up the plan for each row as I went. the idea for a Fair Isle sort of quilt with different designs on horizontal rows is one of those ideas I've had rattling around in my head for a while. Like since 2009.

fair isle baby quilt

I switched up the colors halfway through too, though I don't entirely love the final combination. That khaki background is too dark. I have gobs of this fabric, since I ended up not using it in the project I originally bought it for. but I think it just is too murky for the kinds of colors I usually work with.

the backing fabric is something I found in my stash that not only goes pretty well with the color scheme, but was also exactly the right size to fit the front.

back of fair isle baby quilt

Quilted in my usual haphazard horizontal wavy lines.

fair isle baby quilt

11 comments:

Molly said...

wow! this is gorgeous! and I think the colors you used look great together.

SeamedUP said...

Not a thing wrong with your color choices ~ and the fairisle feel certainly came through!

I love it!

I would also love to see it added to the SeamedUP website!

(full disclosure - I am a co-founder of the site!)

Hedgehog said...

This is really cute!

Mom said...

Beautiful quilt...love the happy colors. Can see you put a lot of thought and work into having it all come together. Nice job.

ciocia kot said...

Love this. Have never heard "fair isle" used to describe quilting, only knitting. But you have captured the effect very successfully!

Kelli said...

Wow, I LOVE your baby quilt! Love all of the colors and pattern. Beautiful!

cinzia said...

just saw this on MDQ. It's beautiful. I like the background fabric. All your color choices are great. And backing is so sweet.

Barbara said...

I read about your quilt on MDQ this morning. Absolutely love it.

Debbie said...

Very fun! I hadn't heard of 'fair isle' either, but it's really cool!

Julie said...

cute. Cute. CUTE.

Lynne said...

I came in from Modern Day Quilts to tell you that I think it's gorgeous!